Welcome to the Hopkinton Public Library!
Since 1895, the Library has been located in the heart of downtown just steps away from the Town Common. The Library building, filled with architectural charm and character, is a community-gathering place where people and information come together.
The Hopkinton Public Library strives to be a comfortable, welcoming central place for the community which is accessible to all. The Library will provide access to a variety of materials, services and programs to enhance educational, cultural, social, and intellectual endeavors and to extend personal growth and development.
The Library is funded through multiple sources that include the Town Government, The McGovern Trust Fund, Annual State Aid and Friends of the Library.
A Brief History:
The Library was established by the Young Men's Christian Association in 1867. Seven members served as the Trustees, incorporated the Library and adopted by-laws for the government of the Library in 1890. The current building was built in 1895 with contributions from local and former residents of Hopkinton. The second floor was used as a lecture hall and was remodeled later as a children’s room. A gallery was built to connect the Library building with the adjacent Episcopal Church after extensive renovation in 1967. This new section was named after the head librarian at the time, Mrs. Betty Strong. A special feature of the reading room is a stain glass window with a motif of water fountain bubbling water flowing over an open book and the inscription on the page reads "The fountain of wisdom flows through books.” The large hall clock that still stands near the circulation desk was presented to the Library by Mrs. F.V. Thompson and Mr. Abram Crooks.
The Library became a landmark for Hopkinton, located in the heart of downtown, just steps away from the Town Common. Until 1955, bequests were the only source of funding for the Library. Since that time the town government has been appropriating public funds for employee salaries, cost of cleaning the Library, utilities and assistance with the purchase of books.
In May 2010 the library was transferred to the town government and 5 members were appointed as the Library Trustees. Starting from May 2011, election will be held for the members of the Library Board of Trustees during the Annual Town Meeting.
Sadie B. Stewart, 1896 - 1905
Effie Woods, 1906 - 1911
Caroline M. Wilbur, 1912 - 1919
Annie Sheridan, 1919 - 1938
Minnie Marshall, 1942 – N/A
Elizabeth Strong, 1955 - 1972
Jeanette Ellsworth, 1972 - 1991
Rose Lavelle, 1991 - 1994
Carol Walsh, 1994 - 2005
Rownak Hussain, 2005 - 2016
Deborah Ervin (interim), 2016 -